Issue: Several Lenovo laptop models have issues returning from sleep, suspend or hibernation mode. An affected laptop may be fine one day but wont power on the next. In this state the Power LED may do nothing when pressed, or may blink 3 times with no POST messages, no beeps, nothing… your laptop is now a very expensive but not construction worthy, brick.
Prevention (sometimes) – Update the BIOS!!
Solution #1 – Reset Hole.
Try not to think about this, that your expensive laptop came with a reset hole.
- Unplug Power
- Find a paper clip
- Find the Emergency Reset Hole on your laptop
- Press and hold the Reset Hole for ten seconds with the paper clip
- Power on. Don’t forget to update the BIOS! (or this may happen again)
Solution #2 – Power Drain
Completely drain all power from the laptop – some disassembly required
- Unplug power
- Remove bottom cover (search Youtube for a removal guide for your model)
- Remove both the “external” and internal Batteries
- Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds
- Replace batteries, shell and power
- Power on. Don’t forget to update the BIOS! (or this may happen again!)
Solution #3 – Remove CMOS battery
Last chance garage – pull it, give that little ole battery a kiss, a little rattle in the hand like a pair of dice and pray for power!
- Unplug power
- Remove bottom shell of the laptop – Search YouTube, your laptop’s support website or this website for a how to guide: https://www.ifixit.com/
- Unplug the CMOS battery for 30 seconds
- Replace shell
- Power on and update BIOS (or this may happen again…)
This involves Fed-Ex, this is not the step you want.
- It’s hard to update the BIOS when your computer wont turn on so…
- Call support
- Ship package
- Contemplate your brand selection process
- Forgive all when that baby’s back, powered on and rockin!