Had a little updating to do for my 2014 Dodge Dart SXT Rallye – air the tires, check the oil and of course update the firmware. In this case updating the radio for improved performance and new features. It’s pretty easy – if you’re comfortable copying files onto a USB stick you’ve pretty much got it covered. Here’s a quick rundown of the steps with an official PDF link at the bottom along with shots of the software host.
- Go here with your vehicle VIN# – www.driveuconnect.com/updates/
- If an update is available you’ll see it – click “Get Started“
- You can Click “Begin Tutorial” and… I’ll see you 20 clicks later, or…
- Here’s full PDF instructions from Chrysler – Uconnect 8.4 software update instructions
or… Just hit the steps below!
- Go straight for the 37mb “Direct Download” file
- Extract the Uconnect Software update file – it will have a .KWI extension
- Copy the .kwi update file onto a freshly FAT32 formatted 4gb+ USB stick
- Put the USB stick in yo car
- Turn car power “on” – but do not start the engine!
- Screen should display Old & New Software versions, if the new one is newer… tap YES!
- *if you don’t see the USB stick and or software messages displayed – turn power off and then back on (without starting car)
- Watch the progress bar go slowly from 0-100% (10+ minutes?)
- Once complete tap screen to reboot, leave the USB stick in.
- On restart confirm the old and new version numbers are the same. Should be!
- Tap NO to decline a second upgrade *If your radio asks for a passcode – turn car power off.
- Turn key off and then start the car
- And that’s it – you just software updated yo car! a car 😛