In case I’m not the only one who had trouble figuring out how to create a Database Model from an existing Database using MySQL WorkBench.
Steps to create a Model of an existing MySQL Database
- Launch MySQL Workbench
- From the Home window click the > icon to the right of Models
- Choose “Create EER Model from Database”
- The Reverse Engineer Database Wizard starts
- Connect to your DBMS (Local instance – TCP/IP in my case)
- Select Schema (the database you wish to model)
- Import the Table Objects
- Option “Place Objects on the Diagram” will auto generate the ERR diagram. If this doesn’t work for you run the wizard again and deselect then manually create the ERR Diagram via drag and drop of your tables.
- Save your model
- You can now add relationships and or modify tables
- That’s it !