If for whatever reason your Strava workout, ride, run or walk gets divided up into two or more Strava Activities – you can easily merge or combine the data into a single event with combined time, distance and speed.
- Your Strava Activity consists of 2 or more GPX or TCX files (you cannot join unrelated activities).
- Export the data from Strava that you wish to combine into one activity.
- Upload, Review and Combine the problem files on the GOTOES website.
- Confirm your downloaded TCX file.
- Delete the related activities in Strava (or your combined file will be flagged as a duplicate).
- Upload your new combined TCX file to Strava.
Steps to Combine Files
Export your data as a TCX file from Strava – Skip this step if you already have TCX or GPX files available to upload
- Open each of your activities one at a time.
- Append /export_tcx to the end of the URL like this:
- Your browser will download a file like this: Ride_Name.tcx.
- Repeat for each Activity you want to combine.
Combine your TCX files
- Visit this URL for – GOTOES Strava tools: http://gotoes.org/strava/Combine_GPX_TCX_FIT_Files.php
- Upload your TCX files.
- Review & Confirm activity parameters – Date, Location etc.
- Combine – Click the Button to Combine the files.
- Download – Your browser will download a single TCX file – this is your complete ride.
Delete your activities in Strava – or your new combined TCX file will be flagged as a duplicate activity.
Before proceeding – confirm you have the TCX file from pervious steps.
- Load each of your affected Activities from the export steps.
- Click – Actions (gear icon) and then Delete.
Upload your combined TCX file
- Strava Upload – https://www.strava.com/upload/select
- Click Upload.
- Done – view your complete workout!
References – Strava Support Links
- How to export TCX files from Strava
- How to delete Strava activities
- How to upload files to Strava
- Strava Activities
Hi – possibly a silly question but where do i find the downloaded file after 2 rides have been combined. I cannot see it in Strava or in my downloads
Hi Glyn, the combined file should download to your web browsers standard download location – most often the Downloads folder where you’ve checked.
To check Downloads for Google Chrome you can click the three dots by your profile/name at the top right. Or press Ctrl+J on a computer. This will show your download history. If not found, try again perhaps the download was canceled or interrupted.
Examples for Google Chrome: https://bestim.org/where-to-find-chrome-downloads.html
how to ensure strava/garmin only take moving time for the pace calculation as both file has a gap in time in between.
lost a QOM, because this didn’t work. Plus both my rides. Yeah me.
Problem I keep getting is if there’s any sort of distance gap between the two files being joined Strava just adds it in and assumes I must have ran it at something silly like 1 min/mile pace which ruins the whole run and also shows up as a big spike. Any way to stop that happening? I’ve tried every setting but it always does it (tcx or gpx).
It wouldn’t work for me because I had a chunk of the run alreay in Strava. I ran 14 miles and my watch stopped at 8 and I had to restart. I wanted to paste the two runs together. Couldn’t do it because Strava recognized one part of the run…
@Terri Reh – see step 3, after exporting the part of the run in Strava – delete it.
Thanks for this. It worked for me.