Issue – Lenovo UCSI USB Type-C firmware upgrade failed. USB Type-C ports no longer work and I have a yellow exclamation mark on the UCSI USB Connector Manager in Device Manager. And that means… no more power to the battery. Which is about when you realize, this is a tech issue with a timer. You sir have 3hrs and 5minutes to prevent you’re shiny brand new bad ass laptop from becoming a shiny new expensive brick in a Fed-Ex box on it’s way to a Lenovo repair facility somewhere in Texas. Cause you know, USB has always been so reliable on the WinTel platform why wouldn’t you make it the power source.
How did we end up here? Because the satellite launch capable Lenovo Yoga 920 when running Windows 10 Fall Creators Update v1709 or later isn’t capable of USB-C output to any HDMI display. No external display on a TV or computer monitor unless you’ve fully powered off the laptop and performed a cold boot with all cables connected and even then it’s flaky. Have I mentioned how well USB works with Windows? So yeah, Lenovo issued a firmware update that fixes the issue which is great, it just may occasionally go south.
Solution! – Press and hold the power button for 8 seconds. That’s it! (worked for me…). This forces a PD System reset and almost instantly started delivering power. Solution found in line 3.b of the firmware upgrade readme file:
3. When udate fail,
a. please unplug Type C adapter and all Type C device ,
b. Press power button more than "8 "second to force system PD reset.
c. Run the update process again..
- Yoga920 PD FW V55 Update Firmware for Windows 10 (64-bit) – Download and information for Yoga 920-13IKB
- Read me file for update – Yoga920 PD FW V55 Update
- Cypress EZ-PD CCG4: Two-Port USB Type-C Controller with Power Delivery
- Intel forum thread – USB-C Display PnP not working with Lenovo Yoga 920 (Intel 620 graphics)
- Lenovo forum thread – Yoga 920 can’t connect to any external monitor or tv
- Lenovo forum thread – Yoga 920 USB C to HDMI not working
- Microsoft doc on UCSI USB-C – USB Type-C Connector System Software Interface (UCSI) driver
Screenshots – firmware upgrade process, upgrade failure, UCSI USB Connector Manager error, and Lenovo Updater status