Notepad ++ lets you create backups of individual files, but if you’re like me (may the lord have mercy) and you have lots of snippets, notes and copy/pasted text in unsaved files and tabs… well you can just copy your Notepad++ Profile data and you’ve got it all. With the steps below you can enable file saves and perform a full data backup or migrate to a new computer – all you’re unsaved files/tabs, settings and plugins.
Here’s how to backup your Notepad++ cache and settings, and how to restore to a new computer or profile.
Backup individual files in Notepad++
- Open Notepad ++
- Click: Settings > Preferences > Backup
- Define a Custom backup directory: X:\Backup\Notepad++
- Backup type: Verbose
How to Backup everything! – all files, unsaved tabs, settings and plugins
- Copy or Backup all files and folders from this location on your current computer: %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++
Moving the Backup to a New Computer – all files, unsaved tabs, settings and plugins
- Launch Notepad ++ on your new computer and then close it. This creates your Notepad ++ profile and folder structure.
- Restore files from Backup step above to this location on the new computer: %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++
- Say Yes to Overwrite all files and folders in this location.
- Launch Notepad++ and you’ll see your last state on your old computer!