Everyone needs a fresh start now and again right? Clear out the carbon, shake up the cobwebs. yeah well it works for ones and zeros to. A fresh install of Windows!? If your computer seems to be running unusually slow, has crashing or startup/shutdown issues, errors or short battery life – then a fresh Start may be for you.
Me, I’m just a glutton for punishment , have full backups and like to play so here I am and – yes indeed my freshly re-installed Windows 10 OS is zipping right along! Here’s the steps to get it done – took me 20 minutes on an i5 Kaby Lake with 16gbs of Ram and a 512gb SSD.
Start Fresh with a clean and up-to-date installation of Windows.
This process will:
- Keep your personal files and some Windows settings
- Remove most apps – like Microsoft Office, and other desktop apps – basically anything that’s not part of Windows. Do not proceed unless you have a way to re-install your applications and have serial numbers or other required authentication codes or passwords.
Steps to perform a Fresh Start – takes aprox 20 minutes
- In the Cortana/Search field type Device Performance & Health
- Under Fresh Start click Additional info
- Click Get Started – or click Learn More
- Follow the onscreen steps