After an update on 12/22/2014 OneDrive started magically importing photos and videos from my iPhone (my Windows Phone is managed by Phone App for Desktop). Microsoft refers to the process as “Auto Save”. This is the second OneDrive update in a row where the change has silently occurred (or I missed it twice!).
Issue: OneDrive “Auto Saves” any new pictures or videos to a folder on your computer named after the phone or device you’ve connected. This change appears to happen after any of the recent 2014 OneDrive updates and happens without asking the end user for their preference. Specs in my case – Windows 7 with OneDrive version 17.3.1229.0918 and an iPhone 6 running iOS 8.1.2.
Solution: Change your AutoPlay settings.
- Right click the OneDrive icon in the Notification Area of your Taskbar
- Choose “Settings”
- Click the “Auto save” tab
- Click “go to AutoPlay Settings”
- Locate your phone under “Devices”
- Change the setting to your preference: Open Device to view files, ask what to do, import using Windows etc.