I rebuilt my work laptop and instead of installing Firefox or Opera I went with Internet Explorer 7. I installed from a test build I’d made using IEAK 7. The install went smoothly and after a reboot I was ready to go. Yes I had to reboot.
Thoughts and comments:
- A very nice upgrade to the very arthritic Internet Explorer 6. Tabs and all that.
- Tabs. Nice addition but IE7 tabs aren’t quite there yet. If a tab is busy so is the entire application. If lil ole Firefox can do this why can’t IE?
- A lot of security upgrades to help battle Spyware and what not but man they’re a pain especially in sites that have apparently custom coded for IE6.
- Slow feeling. Does not provide the smooth fluid workspace of it’s predecessor or of it’s competitors. If the system or the browser are busy the browser lags. Open 6 tabs and click on each tab in IE 7 then try it in Firefox as an example. This feels like a 1.0 release issue.
- Crashes Webex remote and conferencing tool and fails to work with Avocent. This is not an IE7 issue but something to consider as I have to use other browsers for these tools.
- Disable Phishing unless you want IE 7 to run even slower.
- Waiting for a update and here’s hoping it’s not going to be Vista specific.
If you’re not using Firefox or Opera then this is a required upgrade to protect your machine for spyware & malware and to bring IE’s functionality up to par with it’s competitors. IE7 is a nice step forward but no quite equal to Firefox 2 or Opera 9. I’m hoping for a fix release within a year to smooth out some of the first release blues or I’ll return to using other browsers for everything but sites that require Internet Explorer.
IE7 Flash plugin error