Issue: Windows 10 Update KB3194496 makes it to 75-100% complete then fails with the following message “We couldn’t complete the updates Undoing Changes”.
Error message in event log: “Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800F0922: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194496).”
Solution from Microsoft – “Script to fix Xbox Scheduled Task leftover regkeys that blocks update for insider builds prior to 14388”
- Download the fix: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53942
The solution below (Upgrade Windows 10) will also work but is no longer necessary – the issue has been determined to be Xbox scheduled tasks and registry keys. Deleting the tasks and associated registry keys resolves the issue as noted below in David Brown’s comment and in Microsoft Community posts here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/release-preview-14393222-cu-available-and-possible/7b63eb85-3320-4a4b-bc71-bb4de869b13f
Solution – Perform a Windows 10 update using the Media Creation Tool. This will update Windows 10 to the latest version while allowing you to keep existing files and installed applications. You do not need to build a USB or removable media installer.
- Download the Media Creation Tool
- Choose: Upgrade this PC Now
- MCT downloads the latest Windows 10 image
- Verifies image & Creates Windows 10 Media
- Checks for updates
- Checks for free space
- Ready for install
- Confirm what to keep: Files and Apps, just Apps, nothing…
- Save all files, close all apps
- Click Install
- The tool will prep for upgrade, reboot and begin the upgrade
- Login and you’re now running the latest Windows 10 build. All existing apps and files intact.
Other potential steps and options to resolve – these are individual solutions that seem to work for some users in some cases. None below worked for me in this case.
- Troubleshooter – for Windows Update (Found an error that could not be resolved for me)
- Manual update CAB file install – updates can be direct downloaded and install manually from a Win10 USB boot stick or via command line.
- Complete Windows Update re-pair and rebuild process
- DISM repair of existing Win10 image
- Disable Windows Firewall
- Disable Proxy server (not enabled for me)
- Disable Antivirus
Update fail & Windows 10 Upgrade Screens